Looking to up your skills?
Image via Fremantle Arts Centre
Are you bored with your job? Are you bored with your study? Have you always wanted to learn to draw, to write, to paint, to build things? Or are you just looking for an avenue to release your creative flair?
Here is a list of classes and workshops around Perth that might just inspire you into action:
1. The Fremantle Arts Centre run all sorts of creative classes and workshops for both adults and kids. They offer classes in screen printing, clay sculpture, photography, knitting, watercolour painting, sewing, drawing, linocut, acting and jewellery making, just to name a few. Take a look through their extensive list online, you will be sure to find something creative you can try.
2. House of Hobby want to satisfy your soul with their short courses in arts, crafts and life skills. Think candle making and floral workshops. This is a great way to get some friends together and make a day out of it!
3. Skills of the Modern Age deliver learning programs that help you learn the skills needed for the jobs of tomorrow. So what does that mean exactly? Think innovation, think virtual-reality, think 3D-printing. Some of their upcoming classes include: Design thinking for Innovators, Lean Mean UX Machine and Art and 3D-printing.
4. The Australian Writers Centre runs a Creative Writing Stage 1 class for people looking to boost their creativity and write compelling stories. This class can be studied online or through a one-day workshop. It will set you back a nice $450, but will set you up to create some pretty good stories.
5. Want to up your makeup game? Why not book a 90-minute tutorial at your local MAC counter? For $150 you will get a step by step professional makeup tutorial personalised to your features and skill level. Or for $120 join a two-hour interactive group makeup workshop to learn about the season’s hottest trends and techniques.
6. Looking for a more physical hobby or skill? The extremely cool team at Beyond Skate Parks in North Perth and Cannington hold free skateboarding sessions at their shops. For any girls who have always wanted to learn to skate, you can head to their North Perth shop on Thursday nights from 6pm for a female only session where team will hold your hand… and then let it go. Skateboarding WA also hold free clinics for all ages and all skill levels around Perth too.
7. Do you want to find out the secret to happiness? You can, for free! Yale University’s (yes you read it right – THE Yale University) most popular class ‘Happiness 101’ is available online for free via Coursea (called ‘The Science of Wellbeing’). The purpose of this course is to not only learn what psychological research says about what makes us happy but also to put those strategies into practice.
8. Wine lovers can check out the School of Wine Perth to enrol in wine education classes and introductory wine courses held at restaurants and bars around Perth. They won’t tell you which wines you should like, or give you the ‘hard-sell’ on the wines you try. You can choose between the two-hour classes on offer or the three-week Wine 101 course. The best part is, the tastings are included!
With so many options and locations on offer, it looks like your excuse to not fulfil your new year’s resolution to try that ‘thing’, or do more ‘whatever’ is flailing.
Do you run a class you would like to share with us? Let us know!